Tuesday 9 April 2013

Mahala Rai Banda - Balkan Reggae (Re-Mixes) Review







Artist: Mahala Rai Banda

Title:  Balkan Reggae (Re-Mixes)

Label: Asphalt Tango

Released: 9th April 2013





There is a Zen quote that states something along the lines of ‘you only need to look at the hand, to realise how something can change and yet remain the same’

I thought of that quote when listening to this EP a celebration of Jamaica’s 50 years of independence in 2012. Which resulted in 9 versions of the same track remixed by an assortment of artists some familiar to me, others completely new.

This EP brought it home to me once again how diverse Reggae music‘s range can be.  This EP draws its influence from the Balkans and Jah to make a perfect match. This is truly joyous, uplifting music.

This has been the soundtrack to my journey to work for the last few days and trust me ... this is Music guaranteed to bring a smile to your face and a bounce to your step. In my opinion there is not a single duff remix in the selection and it would be churlish to try and pick a favourite from the Dubbed out bliss of established dub heavyweights Nick Manasseh, Mad Professor and the Vibronics or indeed the sublime vocals of Adisha Zvekic, Errol Linton and Annique (who are all new to me).

Seriously... I’m writing this listening to the version with Errol Linton’s vocals which is as smooth as the Bacardi spice that I’m imbibing and the delicious, infectious horns led version by Kanka. Every single version is a winner.

As the man say’s ‘From Brixton to Bucharest, this sweet Balkan music is the best’.

Highly recommended.

Review by Matthew Foord

No comments: